Skip to main content

Q&A with Bristol City's Head of Media

For the penultimate On the Social of the season - for the West Ham game on April 17th - I welcomed Bristol City's Head of Media, Adam Baker (@Bean_Head), to the pages.  As one of the club’s key communicators the ever-growing role of social media has a constant impact on how the media team goes about their job, so I found out more:

How has the ever-growing influence of Twitter affected the job of the media team?
I think similarly to the times when internet forums came on the scene, it’s something we have to be aware of and monitor as best we can. That doesn’t mean sitting on Twitter 24/7, but equally if something’s happening it needs covering. Twitter is a great source of news, and therefore is somebody is reporting something about the club then it’s our job to be alert to that.  It’s often on Twitter where stories are broken these days, ahead of papers and websites.

Could (and should) the club be doing more to embrace this new world?
I think we were slow starters in social media terms, both on Twitter and Facebook, and it takes time to build things up. We’re always looking at new ways to engage with fans and social media is essential as part of that. We’re beginning to bring a more behind-the-scenes kind of look at the club via Twitter recently, and part of our season ticket campaign for 2012/13 is driven by comments (memories) posted by supporters on our Facebook page.

In your experience, how do you think City rank against other clubs in terms of using this approach?
I think as staff we’re very proactive on it. A large proportion of the club’s off-field staff are on Twitter and Facebook, and several players too. Whilst in years gone by fans will have waited for SMS alerts or a website posting to confirm/break news, I believe now a tweet or Facebook post is just as eagerly waited and recognised. Personally I think we interact well, but I’d welcome feedback.

Have you had formal media/social training and do you think anyone needs it?
Not as such but to be honest it’s a learning curve for everyone in a evolving industry (social media). We have a social media policy at the club which all staff members – including players – must adhere and that is in place to ensure the club isn’t harmed in any way.

What's the best thing about Twitter in your view?
The interaction and speed at which news travels because of it. When it comes to major breaking news, there’s nothing really to rival it.

There are other clubs whose Chairman or Chief Executive use Twitter extensively, answering fans questions or commenting on matches, performances and even referee performances!  Is this something you discuss with the likes of Colin or Guy in terms of getting them (more) involved?
Guy is on Twitter (@GuyRPrice) and does take a very keen watching brief. Whether he wants to dip his toe into the water more is a question for him, but given the busy nature of his job I think it would be difficult. With regards to Colin, I’d say it’s unlikely!

There are an increasing number of footballers on Twitter, not without controversy.  Do you think they will still be allowed to tweet in two or three years?
Yes I do. As long as players understand a tweet is, in effect, the same as answering a question to a journalist then it’s ok in my view. The simple rule is, if you wouldn’t say it to a newspaper journalist or live on Sky Sports, don’t tweet it! That’s why we have a social media policy in place. But everyone deserves freedom of speech – within reason!

Who are your favourite football-related follows, inside & outside of the club?
I enjoy following the national journalists, plus the likes of Sky Sports and BBC for breaking news. For clear passion, @JonStead9 is a firm favourite with supporters and I understand why. I also enjoy our design manager @Ed_Furniss’ eclectic collection of tweets.

Can City fans expect anything new and exciting on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest or any other new social media site?
We’ll certainly be sitting down in the summer to see if there are areas we can improve. I’m sure there are and I’d welcome any feedback.

And finally, have you ever been tempted to reply when someone tweets you criticising the players, the manager or asking for inside information on transfers?  I do wonder whether people actually expect a response or not!
Ha ha! Well I try and respond to all reasonable questions and queries wherever possible. Clearly I’m not going to give top secrets away or slate people. There aren’t too many abusive tweets, honest!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cotterill was sacked

In the end, it was very sudden.  In a season where pressure has increasingly grown on Steve Cotterill for all sorts of reasons, an unknown combination of a lacklustre, exhausted-looking performance at home to Preston, an unsavoury altercation with an abusive ‘supporter’ at the end of that game, or perhaps a behind-the-scenes disagreement over transfer policy look to have ultimately curtailed his time at Ashton Gate. No manager these days can win just four out of 28 games in a season, be in the bottom three, and expect to be impervious to the threat of being sacked. But given such an incredulous level of success last season, Cotterill was surely closer than most to having a level of credit in the bank to be given until the end of the season? I share views with many as a general principle where I wish all clubs would give mangers more time to build, but the days of giving a manager the luxury of years of under-achievement, of the type Alex Ferguson enjoyed, resulting in a ...

Bristol City: Our Greatest Team to the Ashton Gate Eight

Back in 2014, I was invited by the Two Unfortunates website to write about Bristol City's greatest team. It was a story which, of course, ended ultimately in the story of the Ashton Gate 8. Since the site of the original post has long since gone, here it is republished in full. "Eight players with more than 80 years at the club and more than 2,000 appearances between them, cast aside as unwilling saviours" Sometimes, events occur that make you realise your true standing in life. When the emotional mask of expectation is removed and those rose-tinted spectacles are lowered onto the brow of the nose, you can realise that things aren’t quite all they seem. And so it was for me, a lifelong Bristol City fan, when I was asked to talk about our greatest ever team. For when it came down to it, there was only one real choice. One genuinely great team that I could write about even in the perspective-bending world of football and this was one I hadn’t even had the privilege of seein...

Up in smoke. England's Ashes tour 2025/26 review and player ratings

High on hope, low on delivery. England are heading towards yet another heavy away Ashes defeat, with an overriding feeling of frustration and annoyance at what could have been. Despite a largely woeful winter, it doesn’t feel like they’ve been too far away from having a chance of claiming a rare victory, which makes the scale of the failure all the more galling. Mitchell Starc and Travis Head have been the huge difference makers and deserve to be joint Men of the Series. Steve Smith delivered in Sydney, whilst Alex Carey has proven himself to be the world’s best wicket-keeper. Other than that, there hasn’t been a lot to scare England. Major Australian absences opened the door. Starc, and more latterly Scott Boland, have dragged their attack through the series. Thirty years of worrying about Shane Warne and Nathan Lyon ended with a complete lack of spin option. Other than Head, Smith and Carey, no Aussie batter averaged over 28. Ultimately, though, it was a series defined by brainle...